As you probably know by now, I'm a huge Broadway fan. Musicals are my to-go music with every situation in my life, and I don't think I can ever go back to my old ways. And even though anyone can tell you there are some better musicals than others, I'm going to do it with style. This means that I'm going to rub some knowledge on your face. Because you can also learn about English writing through musicals, otherwise, what's the point?
So what this is going to be about, then? Well, it's going to be a parade of fancy words to name the artistic things some lyricists use in ther song-writing process. Something like a Literature-meets-Broadway-extravaganza.
I've decided, for no particular reason, to start with In the Heights.
And this is how it's going to be done, so pay attention.
There are 23 songs in the show, and I'm going to rate them from 23 to number 1, based upon the level of wit and the use of poetic devices to deliver the message intended, being 23 the least and 1 the most, of course. This won't be measured based upon whether I hate or love the song, I'll only take in account the technical aspects of each one of them.
Here's a list of the song included in the show, just so you can go and listen to them if you haven't yet. (If that's the case: Why did it take you so long?)
1.- "In the Heights"
2.- "Breathe"
3.- "Benny's Dispatch"
4.- "It Won't be Long Now"
5.- "Inútil"
6.- "No me Diga"
7.- "96,000"
8.- "Paciencia y Fe"
9.- "When You're Home"
10.- "Piragua"
11.- "The Club"
12.- "Blackout"
13.- "Sunrise"
14.- "Hundreds of Stories"
15.- "Enough"
16.- "Carnaval del Barrio"
17.- "Atención"
18.- "Alabanza"
19.- "Everything I Know"
20.- "Piragua" (Reprise)
21.- "Champagne"
22.- "When the Sun Goes Down"
23.- "Finale"
That should be it. This starts tomorrow, be prepared.
-A.
DISCLAIMER: The fact that I decided to spend most of my evenings with this does not mean under any circumstances that I, as an English major, just happen to have a lot of spare time. I do not, in fact.
I just procrastinate a lot.
I bet my classmates are doing something way more productive like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No comments:
Post a Comment